Friday, December 17, 2004

Hi, I'm Christine, and I'm a TV-o-holic

I do love my TV. It's something I am ashamed of. The TV is always on in my house. Oh we aren't always watching it, but it is always on. It's almost like I can't stand to be without that background noise.

It was that way before I had kids. I actually sit and watch very little television, but I had a daily set of channels I turned on at set times because that's what I would listen to as I went about my day. Now that I have kids, they have picked up on it. They, also, don't really sit and watch a whole lot of television, but it's always tuned into something for them. It's just as bad, I know. I firmly believe that children need to stimulate their minds. Spiral and I prefer for them to have toys that require them to use their imaginations. And yet that stupid box is on from sun up until bedtime.

I have been making an effort lately to change this. Instead of TV shows we will turn on music for background noise. (This does mean more of this.) The kids enjoy it just as much, and for me, well... it's not any worse than listening to Jo Jo's Circus.

The TV has really gotten in the way of my reading lately, as well. (Well, TV, and blogging.) I've just gotten in the habit of surfing blogs and watching TV in the evening instead of reading. The other night I was forced by the lack of a laptop in the house decided to switch the TV off. CLICK It was amazing the change it made in the room. Suddenly I could hear the soft Christmas lullabies wafting from Little Man's bedroom. The Christmas tree seems prettier and the lights brighter with the holiday music. I instantly felt much more peaceful.

I brewed a tall cup of tea, and curled up near the tree under my favorite blanket and started reading that Christmas book I've wanted to read. (See sidebar for title.) I went to bed more relaxed and collected - and happy.

Oh don't get me wrong. I still can't live without my TV, but perhaps this little revelation of mine will encourage me to switch it off more often, and get back to that huge stack of books that awaits me on my nightstand.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Yes, I'm going to blog about it - again
Gmail
Another first
Liar, Liar
The Eventual Restaurant
Where have you been, young man!!
Sadness
BOB is open for business!
Evidence that I am a freak
Two peas in a pod





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes