Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Another first

Those of you who are parents know that we count out time in our childrens' lives with firsts: first bottle, first step, first word, first punishment, etc. We here in the Mommy Matters household are gearing up for another first: First babysitter.

Yes, you heard me right. In my 3 years and 8 months as a mother, neither one of my children has ever had a babysitter. That is not to say that I have never left their sides. When I have the need to run away from them as fast as I can go somewhere without them, I leave them with my parents. Even when we were living in different states, my parents visited often enough that Spiral and I would just take our nights out then, and any other time we could work out child care between the two of us. I have never, ever left my children with anyone who wasn't related to me.

I prefer it this way for a few reasons. First of all, there is nothing more precious to me than my offspring, and so when I can't be there I would like to have someone with them who loves them, and would care for them as I do. Because I learned to be a mother from my mother, who better to care for my kids? Secondly, my family enjoys being with my kids, and don't require any payment besides a heartfelt thank you. You can't beat that!

Tomorrow night, however, is friends and family night at the restaurant, and all of my family will be there. This restaurant is a step above everything else here in town, and though children are welcomed, it's not really what I'd call "kid friendly". Tomorrow evening's event won't be appropriate for them. (I admit it will be fun to go out with all my family sans children!)

I've gotten a young girl to watch Gabriella and Little Man for me. She is a very nice girl, I know her parents, and they don't live too far away from me. All of those things put me at ease. Besides, I won't be gone but a few hours, and plan to be home before bedtime, so she should have it easy.

So how do I know this young girl? (I'm so glad you asked!) I use to babysit her! I'm feeling my years now! She was younger than Gabriella when I started watching her. I babysat her for several years, during which time she had twin brothers come along.

So to recap for you:

  • I'm an overprotective mother who has never left her kids with a babysitter before
  • I'm looking forward to a child-free evening with my friends and family
  • I'm old

Yep - that should cover it.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Liar, Liar
The Eventual Restaurant
Where have you been, young man!!
Sadness
BOB is open for business!
Evidence that I am a freak
Two peas in a pod
Best of Blog Awards
Gabriella's quip du jour...
Open letter





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes