Spiral has been on me lately about what I want for Christmas. Our budget is so tight right now, and I love to spoil my kids, so I've been telling him nothing. He spoiled me with a PDA for my birthday, and an ipod for Mother's Day, while he didn't get anything but homemade gifts. This Christmas he is getting what he wants (x-box) and I resigned myself to going without. I'm okay with that. But he insists that he can buy me something, and so keeps asking.
After I found Beth's Wish List, and I thought it was such a sweet idea, I decided to go ahead and write my own. Here are the rules, which I have lazily (that's a word, right?) quoted from Beth.
Make a post to your diary. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Solstice is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address.
Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your diary, or link to this post (it'll be public) so that the holiday joy will spread.
Surf around your buddy list (or your buddy's buddies, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special."
And now without further ado, My Wish List:
1. My very own laptop computer (idealy with a DVD player, CD burner, and wireless capability, but I'm not picky!)
2. My daughter to just POOP IN THE POTTY already!
3. A new (flattering) haircut.
4. Gift cards! (I don't think people truely appreciate the gift card. Not only is it a gift, but it's also a reason to go shopping! Nothing better!)
5. A weekly cleaning service.
6. Regular time to myself. No kids, no husband, inside the house or outside the house - just time for me, each and every week! (And a little money for tea at the Metro would be nice. :)
7. A little HTML help. (I'd like to make my very own banners for blog explosion. I do have one running, but it's so basic and lame.)
8. Any good Titanic book that I don't already own. (Even I have a hard time knowing which is which now, but incase you're interested, Spiral, they can be found here.
9. A vacation! (preferably to Europe)
10. An upgraded Haloscan account, so that I can continue to have my comments emailed to me when I make the switch. (Yes, it's coming soon. I just need to find the time to do it).
(Oh yes, the contact info. Click the "Mattered to me" link below this post to email me.)
And one more thing. If you decide to make a post like this for yourself, link to it here - I'd love to see it!)