Sunday, December 19, 2004

The giving tree

My parents recently took Gabriella to the mall to help them choose a couple of names from the giving tree.

You know the giving tree. They are in malls all across the country, covered with the names of children of all ages that won't have something special with their name on it under the tree Christmas morning. These kids just want something special for their own, or some new clothes.

My parents do the giving tree every year. We did too, until last year when our finances wouldn't allow it. This year, again, we are just going to be able to give our kids a Christmas, and pay our bills, with enough left over for groceries.

I asked my parents to take Gabriella, because I wanted her to learn the lesson of giving. Giving to someone in need. So we all went to the mall, and Gabriella helped choose two names off the tree. She chose a little girl about her age, who wanted Dora or Strawberry Shortcake things. She also chose a 2 year old boy who needed new clothes.

We then went to Target, where Gabriella helped choose the gifts. We explained to her what we were doing, and why. She really got into it, and was so sweet picking out toys, and telling us "Don't tell her! It's a surprize!"

It touched my heart to see my daughter get into this. It was just what I wanted to happen. I wanted her to understand the spirit of giving, and not just the fun of getting presents. She's three, but I think she got something positive out of it.

My heart broke into pieces though, looking at that tree. It was absolutely covered with names. Talking with the woman running the tree that day, she had a large stack of names that still needed to be put up, just waiting for room. We don't live in an especially large city - I couldn't believe all the names.

I wanted to be able to pick up some names myself. It hurt me so much that I couldn't afford to help one or two of these kids out. It makes me wonder about what Christmas has become. Every year we stress over what to get family and friends. We struggle especially with Spiral's parents. It seems we end up giving them things they already have, or things they don't really like, just because we "have to get them something". Wouldn't that money be better spent on a child that would be happy with any number of things, just because it was especially for him or her?

If you have the means to do so, please go find the giving tree and help a child in need. Donate to your local food bank, or give to Toys for Tots. Make the life of a child a little better and a little brighter.

I hope and pray that every child has something under their tree this year just for them. I hope each one is warm, and safe, and has food to fill their tummies. I hope each one is loved, and feels special. I wish I could change the world, and ensure these things for every child. The best I can do is ensure it for my own.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Gabriella's quip du jour...
Shopping hell...
Hi, I'm Christine, and I'm a TV-o-holic
Yes, I'm going to blog about it - again
Gmail
Another first
Liar, Liar
The Eventual Restaurant
Where have you been, young man!!
Sadness





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes