Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ma Ingalls

I secretly enjoy watching Little House on the Prairie. I don't watch it so much anymore, but I remember a time (not too many years ago) that I caught the reruns everyday. I've always been a little facinated with life a century (or so) ago. It's such a sweet show - wholesome and without pretense. There's always that lesson to be taken from each episode.

My favorite character without a doubt is Caroline Ingalls. I find her sweet voice and motherly ways soothing. It took me a little while to pin down what it was, but now I know that it's because she reminds me a bit of my own mother; tall and slender, strong but soft, hard working, never complains, loving to no end.

In my mind this is what a mother should be. I am not these things. (Well, maybe tall and slenderish.) Okay yes, I am endlessly loving. I pretend to be strong, but am not always. I complain - a lot. And I use to be hard working, but I'm too chronically tired now, and laziness has set in.

I daydream of being more like I use to be. Why can't I make that happen? I'll tell you why. Because you can't take a non-mother, throw in a couple of children, and get a non-mother with children. Remember the whole physical reaction vs. chemical reaction lesson from 7th grade science class? Adding children always results in a chemical reaction.

Don't misunderstand, I want to be a mother. I just wish I could get out of my rut and be a mother who has more of those Ma Ingalls qualities.

I guess I can always show my kids reruns of Roseanne. It won't change me, but they will think I am a wonderful mother by comparison.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Thank you!!
A new beginning?
Bam!
Gabriella's quip du jour
Desperately seeking a URL
Having a third child
Win Prizes - Save Lives
Movie Quote Monday
Which would you choose?
Four years of friendship and this is what I get





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes