Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Toy Buying Advice for the childless

The final installment in my "Christmas Toy Shopping 2004" series is advice on what to look for when buying a toy, whether you are a parent, grandparent, great-uncle, second cousin, or family friend who has to brave the toy aisle to find that last minute gift for a child.* I cannot be held accountable for any pain and suffering caused by any toy that goes against the following guidelines. I encourage any of you who can expand on this advice to do so by commenting below.

  • The less noise it makes, the better.

  • If you must buy a noisy toy, look for one with a volume control.

  • The less pieces it contains, the better.

  • Books are great gifts. They are quiet, stimulate a child's imagination, they are quiet, and educational. And quiet.

  • Anything that will encourage a child to clean, is a good idea.

  • Always consider not just how the toy was meant to be used, but how a child might decide the toy should be used. A toy broom, while falling under the guideline above is a great idea in theory, becomes a weapon in the hands of the right child. Choose carefully.

  • Art supplies can be a great choice, but again, choose carefully. Art supplies can require a lot of clean up!

  • Look at the age recommendations on toys.

  • It can be a good idea to buy a toy slightly advanced for a child, so that they get a lot of use out of it. The exception would be a toy containing small pieces should never go to a small child (generally under 3 years).

  • If considering a toy with small pieces for an older child who has smaller siblings, consider again.

  • Simple is good. Not every toy has to have lights and buttons and talk in thirty languages.


*Please note: I am not a toy expert, and any tips here should be taken as the opinion of one mom. Also remember that these are general guidelines, and there are exceptions to every rule.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Jack Handy
Mommy Matters good ideas for Christmas
Remote Patrol
Mommy Matters bad ideas for Christmas
Movie Quote Monday
I've been upgraded!
The giving tree
Gabriella's quip du jour...
Shopping hell...
Hi, I'm Christine, and I'm a TV-o-holic





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes