Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas magic

I still believe in Santa Claus. Oh yes, I know there isn't really a large man in a red suit delivering toys to every boy and girl in the world. I know that it is my job as a parent to draw my children into this make-believe story. But I do truely believe that Santa Claus exists in spirit. Even after I found out that he isn't a real person, I still loved going through the motions.

As a mom I love doing it for my kids. Of course it's a little like knowing the secret to the magician's tricks, but it's still fun. Tonight we made Christmas cookies, and went for a drive to look at Christmas lights. I made Rice Cream (a traditional Norwegian dessert), as I do every Christmas Eve. We put cookies out for Santa, and read The Night Before Christmas. (I know, we are very cliche'.)

After the kids were dancing with sugar plums (or whatever) we stuffed the stockings, and brought out Santa's gifts. I stood back and looked at the room from the standpoint of a small child, who will wake up in the morning and really believe that fat man was here. I remember the excitment I would feel deep within me to think that this legendary man had actually been in my house.

I get a twinge of that excitment even now, when I see the cookies and milk left as if Santa were really here - just a drop of milk forming a ring around the bottom of the glass, and one last cookie with a bite taken from it sitting on the plate with a crumpled napkin. That was the sign to me, even more so than the gifts, that Santa was here. I can't wait to get up in the morning and see that excitment on my daughter's face.

To all of you out there in the blogosphere, Happy Holidays. I wish for you good health, much happiness, and just a touch of magic to always remain within you.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Further evidence that I'm a freak*
Norad tracks Santa
Goodbye naps
Dear internet spammers,
Toy Buying Advice for the childless
Jack Handy
Mommy Matters good ideas for Christmas
Remote Patrol
Mommy Matters bad ideas for Christmas
Movie Quote Monday





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes