Sunday, October 15, 2006

Adventures in parenthood (for lack of a better title)

I'm a pretty uptight parent. Perhaps not on the outside, but on the inside I'm tied in little knots a lot of the time. I blame it on the PPD, but just to be fair, I've been anal retentive since birth. I have to mentally prepare myself for anything that will make a mess. I feel like I need to plan ahead for things like painting or tea parties. If I'm having a bad day, I put them off.

When we lived in Denver I was a member of a mom's group, and we had weekly playdates with the kids. I was shocked and amazed when our hostess very casually got a huge tub full of playdoh out for the kids (two year olds then) before rejoining the adults in the other room. You're just going to let them do playdoh - just like that?!? I thought to myself. And they are MIXING the colors!!!

On the outside, I try to be more relaxed, even if I have to fake it. Ahhh, you want to paint, huh. Ummmm.... okay.... that's a great idea. Let's paint... that sounds like fun!" In faking it, I'm learning that it really isn't that big a deal. (I also have to give credit to FlyLady, who has taught me that life really can be simpler and less stressful.)

Today after hosting a playdate for Ella, I put Little Man down for a nap, and Ella and I sat down and did a little craft activity (that included glue, I will add), and THEN we baked cookies together. I let her do just about everything, including cracking the eggs. And I never once felt uptight about it. She helped me clean up, and then she took over the kitchen table with markers and stickers and paper galore. I felt so proud of myself for being so relaxed and, well... unlike me. :)

I rewarded myself with a cookie.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Because a good one is so hard to find....
Gabriella's quip du jour
I found a way to fool my sweet tooth!
Things that bug me
I should have something better than this to talk a...
Alexander's quip du jour
My September 11, 2001
File this under "Things That Will Never Happen"
My Personal Assistant (digital, that is)
No, for the last time, I don't take credit cards!





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes