Monday, September 04, 2006

My Personal Assistant (digital, that is)

I have techno-joy. I think I may have mentioned it before. Not that I'm a technical know-it-all, but I really love computers, and I'm not at all afraid of them, like some people can be. I have confidence in myself that if the problem isn't hardware, I can usually figure it out. (Hardware, I don't go there.)

Back when we lived in Seattle and the Palm Pilot was fairly new to the market, Bubblehead's employer purchased one for him, and I sat on the couch one night playing with it - marveling at it's then high-tech two-toned screen, with the three or four games it had built in. How amazing is this?! And you can keep your appointments and contacts in it! I was in love.

A year or so later, they upgraded his Palm, and I was allowed his hand-me-down, and I was in heaven! Look at my little computer - I can carry it with me everywhere I go! I can play Freecell while I wait at the doctor's office! I'll never have to memorize my brother's phone number again! My life is so much easier because of this beautiful pocket-sized doo-hicky!

You can imagine my envy when Bubblehead came home with a Palm that boasted a COLOR SCREEN! Isn't technology amazing! Every time he upgraded, I got his cast-offs. And with each one I had a little bit more memory to fill, usually with games I rarely played, but felt so satisfied that they were there just incase I got tired of playing Freecell.

Eventually I learned to utilize these mini-computers for more than just card games. I now own my second very own, brand-new-to-me Pocket PC. (Palm was cast aside a while back.) Color screen, two memory card slots, built-in wireless. I can surf the information super highway from the toilet if I so desire. I keep a multitude of lists on it (and anyone who knows me knows I love to makes lists), I keep my ever-growing schedule of appointments on it, complete with little icons and color-coded catagories. It's the only place I have a complete list of addresses and phone numbers. I get my weather forecasts uploaded daily. I have a small library on one memory card, pictures of my family, an audio book, and a program that tracks all my books. (My titanic collection has gotten big enough I now have to consult my handheld on whether or not I own a particular book.) I can convert and watch movies and TV shows on my little friend, read entire novels and how-to books, I have a dictionary and three foreign language to English dictionaries, which I use (or have used) while reading certain books. I can listen to music - I can even blog right from the palm of my hand.

And while I've moved on from Freecell, I have a really nice collection of games, which I can play while listening to an audio book or watching TV, or while waiting in the doctor's office. Because some things will never change.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



No, for the last time, I don't take credit cards!
Week in review
Gabriella's quip du jour
Izzy's over done it
Sigh
It's the most wonderful time of the year, or the p...
....And I always do
Gabriella's quip du jour
Yes, Officer, I'd like to press charges
My inner brat





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes