Saturday, July 29, 2006

Arachnophobia

I have a fear of spiders. I'm not ashamed of it - everybody is afraid of something. I just happen to be afraid of tiny eight-legged creepy-crawlies that I'm sure could swallow me whole if allowed to get close enough.

After Gabriella was born, I made a vow to myself that I would do my darnedest to hide my fear of spiders from her. It only seemed fair. She should be free to develop her own irrational fears, rather than having them passed down to her. Of course I would slip from time to time, and she would see me flinch before I would exclaim "Ella, come look at this spider!", but I think I did alright. I was always free to let my fear get the better of me when she wasn't looking.

Five years later, that vow I made myself has paid off. Ella is not afraid of spiders, but also understands the need for them to NOT EVER be in the house. When she sees a spider, she just runs and gets a tissue, and disposes of the insect in the proper manner - that being flushed to a watery grave. (Although I think she believes the spider is "going to his family" - whatever.)

This is good for both of us. She is still free to have her own irrational fear of mermaids (as it turns out), and she can rid our home of all eight-legged intruders, leaving me free to feel safe from being eaten alive.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Ella's self portrait
Inane Ramblings
You can't talk to three year olds
Reason #4 I miss living in a big city
The post in which she shows off her gorgeous kids
~ Do Not Disturb ~
Avast Maties!
Gabriella's quip du jour
I'm just drawing a blank on a title for this one -...
What is up with Blogger?





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes