Sunday, October 23, 2005

I really am a caring mother...

despite how this post may make me sound. But I had to share.

Please keep in mind during this story that at no time was my daughter badly hurt, and that I care for her more than anything on Earth.

I was sitting at the kitchen table today coloring and cutting out a "folder game" for Gabriella"s preschool teacher. Gabriella and Little Man had been sitting at their little table near me coloring, but had since ran off to play. All of a sudden Gabriella was at my side, stammering to tell me something.

She was upset, and wasn't getting her words out well, so it took me a minute to realize that she was hurt. She was putting on such a brave face, but as her words finally came out so did the tears.

"Alex sharpened my finger!"

author's note: I'm not buying for a second that her little brother forced her finger into the pencil sharpener. She's in this phase (that lasts what... 16 more years?) where she blames everything that might come with a punishment or negative reaction on her brother. Also, for any of you who are concerned about such a thing, this was a child's manual pencil sharpener, and not a big fancy electric one – thank goodness!)

I pulled her up into my lap and wiped away the crocodile tears running down her cheeks. I checked the finger (no more blood than a paper cut would cause) and then pressed her little head against me. As she sobbed and I comforted her, I looked down at my precious girl, checked to be sure she wasn’t looking at me and then let out a big, although silent laugh!!

I'm sorry. I do care very much about her. I feel terrible that she was hurt, and am thankful that it wasn't badly, and all is well now, but there was something about her statement that was so funny!! She tried to sharpen her finger!!!

So now I can add that to my list of failures as a mother: I neglected to teach my children NOT to sharpen their fingers to points with a pencil sharpener.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



For the love of tea
Gabriella's quip du jour - a year in review
How my blog has changed my life
Repost request
When things are slow, why not do a meme?
This is a test
Gabriella's quip du jour
It's my blogoversary!!
By morning light
Wyoming Weather Update





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes