Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Big Rock

Quick road update before I post this: My internet connections have been sketchy, so I haven't been able to get on regularly. We're safely in Gainesville now, and having fun visiting with family. My grandparents live on a farm about 30 minutes outside of town, and the kids are loving it. They run around and visit the animals, and the favorite activity has been playing in the sawdust. I'll update again soon, and with pictures, but for now I'll leave you with this....



This is Little Man's "Big Rock". He adopted it over the summer. When he found it in the yard, I really never thought it would become such a part of our lives. I figured he'd play with it and then leave it out in the grass somewhere, where I would eventually find it and toss it into the alley.

Little Man grew very attached to his "big rock", however, and now I'm afraid it is here to stay. He loves this rock. We fought against it coming into the house but somehow it found its way in. We tried hiding the rock so he would forget about it, but to no avail.

We finally gave up, and the rock is just a part of his toy collection now. It has taken baths with him, and slept in his bed with him. He has carried it with us on outings. The saddest part of all this is I will never be able to get rid of this rock now. Oh sure, he will cast it aside and not care about it, but as long as I have memories of him clutching the rock in his tiny little boy hands while he slept, I will not be able to toss it out in the alley where it belongs. I will put it in his keepsake box and save it. I'll smile lovingly at the rock when I see it years from now, remembering him wanting to take it with us when we went to pick his sister up from school. And when I'm very old, I will find it in my attic, pick it up in my shaking hands, and turn it over and over, studying it's rounded shape, and wonder why the hell I've put a rock in my son's keepsake box! (Because let's face it, I won't remember.)

The picture isn't loading for me, nor is haloscan. I wish I had time to research the problem, but I don't. I hope it fixes itself. If not, I'm sorry.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Randoms from the road
Because so many one of you asked...
My first venture of 2006 (shhhhh!)
Gabriella's quip du jour
If you have a minute...
Our stay at Brooks Lake Lodge
Christmas can't be very far away
Gabriella's quip du jour...
BOB is back
I don't have a title for this, but keep reading an...





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes