Thursday, February 03, 2005

Read any good books lately?

I just have to digress for a moment here to say that after my "Silent Lucidity" post below and all the wonderful comments I got on it, I feel like I should just say "Thank you and Good Night!" I can't possibly follow that. I have been inspired by all you wonderful people (and you know who you are) to try to write like that more often, and I promise I will - try. However, sometimes I get otherwise occupied with life (or lack of a laptop) and I just want to post something to update my blog. I hope you'll understand, and stick with me through the mediocre. Speaking of mediocre, I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled post:

Have I ever mentioned my love of books? I really do love them. Each one is like an adventure, and after I have read them, like a trusted friend. I rarely borrow books, because I love to own them. Our shelves are overflowing with books.

I have a large "to read" stack, (which includes this, and this, and this.) They are like treasures, with fortunes unknown. How exciting it is to look at them, to pick them up and feel their pages, and not know what adventures await me within them.

I have many, many favorite books (including this one, and this one, and this one.) These are friends that I visit again and again, basking in the warmth of their familiar pages.

I love the feeling I get when I finish a really good book. It is more than just a feeling of not wanting it to end, but an unwillingness to begin another book right away. I want to just sit thinking about the story, and wondering about the characters.

I actually co-founded a bookclub - the Page Three book club. (Imagine our surprise to learn of this. So despite our name, we do not conduct our meetings topless.) We have six members, and we meet once a month, except in December. We have read some really good books, (like this, and this.) We have also read some that were, in my opinion, not so good. (This one springs to mind.) Of course as in any gathering of friends, even though we are there to discuss books, we have a secondary purpose, and that is to get away from our children and husbands for one night a month!

Sadly, I don't have as much time for reading as I would like. I long for the days when I would cuddle up on a cold day with a book and just read and read. Now I'm lucky to finish my book club selection each month and still find the time for one of my own choosing. (Truth be told, this blog addiction of my mine is really cutting into my reading, as you can tell by my sidebar - I have had the same book at the top of my reading list for 2 months. And yes, I do intend to finish that one, even though the season has long past.)

For my birthday I received a gift card to our local book store, and I am excited for the day that I go down and peruse the shelves and decide how to spend it. I don't have any particular book in mind, so it may take me time. (If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!)



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Gabriella's quip du jour...
Thank you
A Conversation
Silent Lucidity
Movie Quote Monday *UPDATED*
Three in a bed and the little one said "roll over"
Gabriella's quip du jour
In case you have time to waste
Music to put you in "the mood"
The Great International Secret Blog Exchange!





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes