Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Eeewwww!!

The men in my family are coffee aficionados. (Coffee snobs, we call them.) They go beyond searching out the best gourmet coffee - oh no. These guys have coffee roasters. They buy green beans, and carefully roast the beans to get the perfect cup of coffee. They have about every coffee maker known to man, from your basic drip pots, french presses, vacuum pots, Turkish pots, etc. They know their coffee.

So for my dad's birthday my brother got him some very rare, very expensive "kopi luwak" coffee. Do you know about this stuff? Basically it is made from coffee beans that have been eaten and passed through the digestive tract of the luwak, or Asian Palm Civet. Apparently while being "passed through", many of the proteins that make coffee bitter are pulled out. "Luwak Coffee is indisputably the world's rarest and most exclusive coffee." Ummm, okay.

Even though they like to roast their coffee beans themselves, my brother got my dad pre-roasted beans, because if you buy the luwak beans green, you have to, er... clean them first. Nice.

I'm not a coffee lover anyway, so I can't imagine trying this. My parents, brother, and SIL (who is squeamish) tried it. They said it was good. "It didn't taste at all poopish!"

I just find it so funny. Who first thought of trying coffee that first went through an animal's digestive system? Was there a coffee shortage? And would you get the same effect if you fed the coffee cherries to say your dog or cat? Or perhaps coffee cherries are tasty, and would make a nice snack for yourself - like the day before you wanted to brew up some "homemade" gourmet coffee! Talk about recycling!!

Brave enough to give it a try? You can find it here.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Why is that?
Gabriella's quip du jour
Bones that Float
Alexander's quip du jour
Comments
The post in which she rambles about her sidebar
Alexander's quip du jour
Happy Mother's Day!
False Advertising
Alexander's quip du jour





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes