Tuesday, April 12, 2005

True Titanic Tales: Captain Smith

Sixty two year old Edward John Smith had been working for the White Star line for 38 years. He commanded his first ship in 1887, and quickly earned the reputation as one of the very best captains sailing the seas. It was common in those days for the regular passengers to follow a well-respected captain on their voyages, rather than booking on a favorite ship. Captain Smith had a large following, and an excellent record, so it became a given that he would command all of White Star's new ships. He captained the Olympic, (Titanic's sister ship), and had decided to make the Titanic's maiden voyage his last. He was to retire after returning Titanic back to Southampton in April of 1912.

In an interview about his many years at sea, Captain Smith was quoted as saying, "I will say that I cannot imagine any condition which could cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that." You may think this is a sad comment on the times, but you must remember that he was one of the best in his field. The world had never seen an incident like the one that would befall the Titanic. Hindsight is always twenty twenty.

Sadly Captain Smith never got to return Titanic safely to her home port. Many legends and rumors surround his final moments. Of course we can never know the truth, but given the survivor accounts and knowledge we have, it is almost certain that he did not committ suicide in the final moments. He was not that kind of a man. One survivor thinks he remembers a man who could have been Captain Smith hold on to capsized Collapsabe B before wishing all the others balancing on the upside-down hull good luck, and letting go. Was it him? Good question.

His body was never found. He left behind a wife, Eleanor Smith, and a fourteen year old daughter, Helen Melville Smith.

Special thanks to Encyclopedia Titanica for helping me fill in all the facts.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



True Titanic Tales: The Allisons
What's your Titanic?
My obsession
Movie Quote Monday
The cure for stress?
Starnts
Public Service Announcement
Happy Birthday
Mourning a loss
Good word!





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes