Friday, April 15, 2005

The Titanic sails into history

I'm going to wrap up my play-by-play here. I'm sure you know I've given you the short version of the story. There is so much more to tell, including the rescue, the controversy surrounding the Leland liner Californian, both the American and the British investigations into the disaster, and hashing out all those legends. Just like every person on that ship had a story before the ship sank, every survivor had a story afterward. For nearly every one of them, the Titanic would become a part of them forever.

It is a facinating tale, made up of real people. This is what keeps me interested. These people were (for all intents and purposes - I don't have a personal maid, but that is beside the point) just like you and me, with lives, and loves. They had jobs and families. They stepped onto a ship in 1912 the way we might get into a car or an airplane, and their lives changed forever.

That, and the series of events that put the Titanic in that exact place with that iceberg at that exact moment. One little event changed in the slightest, and I might have been writing tonight about Anastasia Romanov (who I'm sure would have been "my Titanic" otherwise).

I hope that sometime today you'll stop and think about the 2,207 (give or take - there are different figures depending upon your source) people whose lives changed, or ended, 93 years ago today.

I would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have - just leave them below. I'll leave you with a question: What is the significance of the time stamped upon this post?



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



April 15, 1912 - 2:05 am
Lifeboats are launched
April 15, 1912
April 14, 1912 - 11:39 pm
True Titanic Tales: The Band
True Titanic Tales: Mr. & Mrs. Straus
True Titanic Tales: Jack Thayer
True Titanic Tales: The Sage Family
True Titanic Tales: Captain Smith
True Titanic Tales: The Allisons





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes