Monday, January 03, 2005

Who's Your Daddy?

I can admit it to you, internet (seeing as we are great friends and all) that I enjoy watching reality tv. I'm not a fanatic, but there are several shows I enjoy. When I saw the ads for "Who's Your Daddy?", I knew I was going to end up watching it. (Besides, who can beat a show that's over in one night - no strings left hanging to rope you in for several weeks, keeping you a slave to your tv once a week until it's over?)

By the end of the show I had tears in my eyes watching this woman meet her real father for the first time. It made me wonder what it is about the human race that makes us voyeuristic? I admit to it, but I don't quite understand it. Are we trying to escape our own world? Does it let us "live out" situations we wouldn't normally get to experience? Or is it just an evil side to the human mind that we enjoy watching others?

I can't pinpoint exactly why I enjoy watching these shows. Survivor is my fav, and I suppose I enjoy that one because of the game itself. It's so interesting to see the combination of control one has over their fate, and then on the other side the total chance that is involved in it. The manipulation - it seems to bring out the worst in people, and yet at the end of the day, they seemingly come away friends, because hey - it was just a game.

So is that what we are looking for in these shows? Are we really popping the popcorn and settling in on our sofas to watch the worst part of human nature rear it's ugly head?

I don't know that it's that. At least for me. I think I enjoy seeing the best of people shine through all of the that. Either that, or at the end of the day I just really desire to watch someone who lives a more interesting life than I do. (On the other hand, you don't need "reality" tv for that.)

So I'm throwing this one out to you. What is it, do you think, that makes us love watching other people. (And I'm not limiting this to just reality tv. You there, with the telescope - we know you aren't really interested in the stars!)

*Author's note: It was pointed out to me by Cat that using the term "real dad" is not entirely appropiate here, and I am ammeding this because I whole-heartedly agree with her. Let it be known that I believe a "real" parent is one who parents. I hope I did not offend anyone, for it wasn't my intention. Thank you, Cat.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



Gabriella's quip du jour...
She looks just like Spiral!
Movie Quote Monday
Happy New Year
Today
Public Service Announcement
Gabriella's quip du jour...
The Tsunamis
I have had this dog
They Might Be Giants





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes