(no, it's not my birthday yet)
I don't usually make a big deal about the getting older aspect of birthdays. Although I do at times think "I'm that old now?!", I don't generally get depressed or freak out about another year passing. (Well, not yet anyway.) With this birthday being my 30th, I thought I would reflect just a bit on some of the better times I've had, and the blessings in my life (in no particular order).
Things of which I'm most proud and thankful:
- That I have a close relationship with my brother, who was always my best friend when we were kids and moving around so much.
- That I have worked to make my marriage work, despite everybody's expectations.
- That at the age of 19 and living far from home with my husband out to sea, I was able to take care of myself, going to school and working. (I'm not as independent and confident as I once was, but I'm so proud of myself for that time in my life.)
- Graduating college (because as you may know, a lot of work goes into a college education.)
- The work I did with foster kids in Florida while going to school.
- My musical ability
- Each of my children
- The close relationship I have with my parents
- That I decided to start writing again after all these years, even if it is just a blog.
- Having the courage to seek help for my depression, and to talk about it with others.
- My wonderful husband
- Living several places all over this country
- All the wonderful people I have met over the years (including those of you I have recently met right here - yes, I'm sappy!)
Now since you've taken the time to make it this far, before you move on take just a moment and think of one thing that you are especially proud of and/or thankful for in your life. (And if you are so inclined, please share!)