Friday, April 27, 2007

Almost a first grader

Gabriella, I blinked my eyes and you went from this little toddler with ringlet curls to a big girl who knows about recycling and woodwind instruments! I missed it. I was so busy making breakfasts and reading stories and breaking up fights. You went from three to six overnight for me.

Here you are almost a kindergarten graduate, and you make your Daddy and me proud every single day! You are reading at almost a 2nd grade level. Everyone at school praises your art abilities, and you love to do math. You are just amazing! But I want to let you in on a little secret: while we are so very proud of your accomplishments, this isn't the reason we are so proud of you.

What makes us proud beyond measure is your hard work. I am so proud of you every time you stretch out a word and figure it out on your own, and every time you work out that addition problem, even if you have to use all your toes to do it. You are such a smart girl, but it is what you do with it that counts. You don't always get the word right, or the math problem, but when you work really hard to do it on your own - that is something to be proud of!

Right now I am stressing over which first grade class you will be in next fall. I'm worried you'll get the wrong teacher, and not have the structure you need to keep you focused. I'm worried about you getting hurt by the little clicks that are already beginning to form. (OMG! Can you believe that?! I dread your high school days!!)

You, on the other hand, are living your life with your usual pixie chick flair. You are swinging in the sunshine, singing songs at the top of your voice. You are playing very important games at recess - something involving wood chips and a hole in the ground - and excitedly telling us about making earth buddies in school. I envy your care-free kinder lifestyle.

So what I want to tell you is this: I know that I am blowing the whole first grade crisis out of proportion, and it will all work out and everything will be good, but this is my job. I have to worry - it's just my nature. But for you, my darling bright-eyed girl - the only job you have is to work hard and do your best, to continue singing Alex songs at the top of your voice, and keep tossing wood chips into that hole. Cherish your kinder-days, (and may they last long beyond kindergarten), and never ever lose you pixie-chickness. Because even if your reading level drops to the very bottom of your class, if you can do these things you have every reason to be proud.



www.flickr.com
Name: Christine
Location: Wyoming, United States
I'm the Mom of two. They drive me crazy. I love them dearly. I want one more. I'm not insane, yet. My hubby says I'm a snob with an inferiority complex. There is more to me than being a mother. I just don't remember any of it.

View My Complete Profile
100 + things - UPDATED
Talk to me
IM


Win Free Prizes

On the Scale of Mediocrity, today rates:

~7~


I'm feeling... The 

current mood of kabiel at www.imood.com


Enchanted with...
Adagio Tea

Contemplating...
His next trip to Asia

Irritated by...
His next trip to Asia

Humored by...
Finslippy

Lessons Learned...
Don't ask a 5 6 year old a question, unless you really want to feign interest for the next 90 minutes in the answer.

Buy Stock in...
American Girl

Quote of the Week

"Make a little birdhouse in your soul."



I take back what I said before
Gabriella's quip du jour
A good resource for parents
The Dove Skin Vitalizer
I love that...
Gabriella's quip du jour
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
The amazing neverending cold
A tip....
Random bits of heaven





I was the first certified redhead! Want to be one, too? Click here, 

and let Webwench know you exist!
Muzikdude says this site doesn't suck!


Who Links Here


I'm on blogrolling's top 500 list!


I'm reading...



Next on my queue...



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License
.



Powered by Blogger

Sweepstakes Advantage - 4000+ Free Online Sweepstakes